Noraset Vaisayakul was born in Thailand, with Thai nationality. His style of work is Conceptual Art.
How he get started in Art & what inspired him
I keep observing the social situations that happen in Thailand my whole life. I found what is the problem of many aspects and intercept any kind of development as we should not be like that, is “Social inequality”. Inequality situations in Thailand such as “Economic Chance”, “Knowledge accessibility” “Choice Jobber” and “Freedom of Speech” to “Injustice”, because the authoritarianism of this country created “mythology” to maintain power and keep their economic benefit. And they create a nonsense moral system for “Equality Society” or established “Old Tradition” that destroys the value of equality in many aspects of society, and also blocks diversity in general. Especially, in Thai traditional culture, which is such nonsense tactfully smooth to daily life.
Because we are all imprisoned in a “Superstitious belief society” I am interested in “Unlocking” people from “misunderstanding” that nonsense to freemen who believe in standard human rights, such as the right to dream of a better life and imagination, and also the right to discussion based on respect for diversity. As Michel Foucault said. “Prison continues, on those who are entrusted to it, a work has begun elsewhere, which the whole of society pursues on each individual through innumerable mechanisms of Discipline”. In my artworks, I usually use “Signifier of belief” as a kind of teasing respectfully. As Those belief signifiers are used by the Authoritarian to press over people. And people also totally surrender by faith and belief like a doctrine of god. So, I bring back those signifiers and pillage Signified of it to fight back against those authoritarians from people who are pressed over by them.
In one way or another, people who are pressed over either knew or unknown themselves. They would feel uncomfortable breathing (freedom). Even some people (Underdog) are pressed over heavily till they die quietly. Therefore, my artworks are voices to supplicate “the fresh air” that everyone has the right to get. By showing ordinary aspects of life that in fact are not normal at all (!!!). I try to shout to tell “story” and ”history” to “friends” in the same society to assist ourselves and shout loud to everyone in the Authoritarian system. “I know what you did to us”!
- 2022 Manycuts artspace, ‘Cerpuscule’ an art exhibition, Chachoengsao, TH.
- 2016 Gallery Ver, ‘Notopia’ an collaborated exhibition, Bangkok, TH.
- 2014 H Project Space, “Fault Line” an art exhibition, Bangkok, TH.
- 2013 Gallery Ver, “Disconnection” an art exhibition, Bangkok, TH.
- 2012 Pongnoi Art space, “Detachment” an art exhibition, Chiangmai, TH.
- 2011 Art Center, Chulalongkorn University “Slow down” an art exhibition, TH.
- 2009 Gallery Ver, “Subsconciouscape” an interactive art exhibition, TH.
- 2007 PSG art gallery, Silpakorn University “Sorry” an interactive art exhibition, TH.
- 2005 Rajata Art House, Bangkok, “Animated Diary” a process documentary art project, TH.
- 2001 Pranakom Bar & Gallery, Bangkok, ‘Room’, a print installation art exhibition, TH.
- 2018. Many cuts art space, ‘Cityscape V0l.1’, Chachoengsao, TH.
- 2017. BACC, ‘Earth-Water-Forest-Air’, Bangkok, TH.
- 2016. Sky walk, THE RATCHAPRASONG ART MAZE, URBAN BY NATURE, Bangkok, TH.
- 2012 DAVID store, “dada – simple comme bonjour” an art show, Gent, BE.
- 2012 Bangkok Art and Cultural Center, “Thai-Trend” an art exhibition, TH.
- 2012 Artereal Gallery, “Northern Light” an art exhibition, Sydney, AUS.
- 2011 Gallery See Scape, “Light Space Project” an international art exhibition, Chiangmai, TH.
- 2011 Artery Post Modern Art Gallery, “Art 20 Kg” an art exhibition, Bangkok, TH.
- 2011 Seoul Art Center, “Rainbow Asia” an art exhibition, Seoul, KR.
- 2010 Bangkok Art and Culture Center, “Imagine Peace” an art exhibition, TH.
- 2013 ‘Supported by “San Art Laboratory”, Ho Chin Minh City, VN.
- 2007 ‘Supported by Office of Contemporary Arts, Ministry of Culture, TH.
- 2005 ‘Supported by “Lijing Studio”, Kunming, CN.
- 2004 ‘Supported by Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs/DCO/IC’ and Dutch Ministry of Education,
Culture and Science, NL.
- 2003 ‘Supported by Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs/DCO/IC’.
- 2003 Rijksakademie van beeldende kunsten / Dutch Ministry of Education, Culture
and Science, NL.
- 2002 Rijksakademie van beeldende kunsten / Dutch Ministry of Education, Culture
and Science, NL.
- 1997 14th Exhibition of Contemporary Art by Young Artists, Bangkok, TH, ‘Special Prize’.
- 1997 43rd National Exhibition of Art, Bangkok, TH, ‘Bronze Medal Award, ‘Graphic Art Section’.