Natural material from silkworm
Thai silk is made from local Thai silkworms. There are several steps to produce each fabric, consisting of raising silkworm, reeling in the threads, dyeing, and weaving. Unlike any other silks, the distinct character of local Thai silk is luster and sheen. As it is a natural material, Thai silk provides gentle touch to the skin and is well-ventilated. Thai silk can last over a hundred years!
What is Mudmee silk?
Mudmee silk (also known as “ikat”) is produced through the traditional method of tying in the desired pattern with straw, hay, or banana ropes. The ropes stop water from affecting the silk yarns, whilst dyeing it in the process. The tied yarns move through the dyeing process, but only the untied yarns absorb the dye. The method is repeated as many times as necessary, depending on the preferred color variations. Afterward, each silk yarn is woven to create a variety of designs, combining the colored areas to produce patterns.
Mudmee weaving is the oldest form of pattern weaving in Thailand and dates back approximately 3,000 years when sericulture (silk production) was first introduced to Thailand.
Traditionally in Thailand, the nobility wore Mudmee on a daily basis, whilst others wore it during festive occasions or ceremonies. Nowadays Mudmee is worn more casually, though the complexity of the weaving makes it stand out from the majority of casual wear.
The color of silk can make it more valuable
Silk dyeing is the dyeing of silk threads in various colors for the benefit of creating colors and patterns on the fabric. There are many methods such as dipping, dyeing, coloring, etc. There are two types of dyes used: natural and synthetic colors.
- Natural dyeing It is mostly derived from plant parts such as bark, leaves, fruits, stems, piths, and roots. There are different methods for preparing dyes and dyeing methods. It depends on the type of plant and the part used for dyeing.
- Synthetic or chemical dyes It is a very pure color. Those colors can be mixed to get the desired color and the intensity can be adjusted. The dyeing method is simple and easy. The dyed colors are fresh and have good color durability. There are many types of synthetic dyes used for dyeing. Each type has its own dye properties. dyeing process Different dye qualities, therefore, their use must be appropriate.
The amplified Thai traditional pattern
Khreuathao Banlang Thong, or in English translation is a decorative Thai traditional figuration, is an amplified Thai traditional pattern. The creation came from a well known pattern, “Khreuathao”, which has been used in both arts and crafts for the longest time. “Khreuathao” could be vary in detail following region, period, and favor. What the pattern represent or its core value though is shared, that is a natural fertility conveying by lithe stem curling into leaves and flowers. With an amplification design dedicate to auspicious plant, “Banlang Thong”, making this gracious craft not only specially exquisite but also meaningful.
This intricate piece can be tailored in various ways:
- Great for tailor to skirt or dress on your special occasions
- Using it as house decoration or curtain, adding Thai style to your home
- Putting in the frame to display its beautifulness like a piece of art
- Offer as a gift to your special ones
- Worth to keep as your collection
Tips to take care of Thai silk
- The best is to hand wash. Do not put it in the washing machine.
- Thai silk can be washed in lukewarm water but only with the mildest soap, then rinse the silk in vinegar to retain its original luster and allow it to drip dry in the shade.
- Thai silk should be ironed on the inside just before it is dry or else put a damp cloth over the silk and iron.
Get to know VIP Thaisilk
VIP Thaisilk was founded by Miss Waraporn or Aiw who was born and raised in a weaving family in Surin province. She has learned and been familiar with real silk for most of her life.
Being in the field of real Thai silk for over 30 years made her understand the authenticity and dedication of each silk piece. Thus, VIP Thaisilk was established with the aim to share the love and beauty of Thai silk to people. VIP Thaisilk only selects authentic silk pieces from all over Thailand. All pieces are guaranteed to be real Thai silk with a premium grade. Each piece is one-of-a-kind!